Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Overwhelmed

     I have had more then my fair share of times when I have felt overwhelmed.  Looking around the house I get discouraged wondering how I am going to get it all done, the laundry, cleaning, cooking, school for my big girl, errands & entertain my little girl who is only 2! 
     I get the feeling I am just spinning my wheels.  I get one thing cleaned up only to turn around & find my girls have messed up 12 more things!  And meals.  They just keep coming.  Three time a day plus snacks and with food comes dishes.  It really makes me just want to sit down and cry.  Well some days.
       Then there are those days when I get to the end and think everything went smoothly today.  I actually accomplished stuff & the house is good enough.  (You can read my Good Enough post later)
       Why am I so overwhelmed one day & super woman another?  I guess my attitude & expectations has a lot to do with it.  Well, that & how my girls are doing that day.  If they are fussy or destructive that is surely going to impact my day.  But the biggest factor is my attitude.   I promise another post one day about the power of expectations.
      I mean if I really look around my house I have it pretty easy.  I have a washer & dryer on the main floor, no running up & down the stairs to do the laundry.  And I am surely not having to do it by hand or out on a rock.  I have a microwave, so if I forget to take something out to defrost I can pop it in & have it defrosted within a few minutes.  I have a dishwasher, so it isn't like I am standing at the sink washing the dishes by hand.  I have all the modern conveniences.  There are many trying to do it all with a whole lot less.
     I was encouraged this week in bible study when I read Mark 14:34-36 (NIV), "34 “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.” 35 Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36 “Abba,[a] Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”  Jesus understands what I am feeling when I am overwhelmed.  Granted, he was facing his crucifixion at the time and my problems are minor compared to that, but he still understands.  I find that very comforting.  My Lord understands how I feel!
     This last week I have really been trying to monitor my attitude & I have found the results to be amazing.  You have heard the saying that if Mama ain't happy ain't nobody is happy.  Well I guess the opposite is also true.  If Mama has a good attitude the rest will too.  I set the tone for my home.  I am not perfect & I am sure I will have days of feeling overwhelmed, but hopefully they will be far & few between :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments & thoughts. Disagreement is fine, but you are asked to be respectful of me and those that comment. Profanity is not acceptable.