Sunday, February 26, 2012

Shut Up

       I have been taught that it is not nice to say shut up.  But sometimes I am so tempted.  I wonder how people could be so ignorant and clueless.
       I have 2 beautiful daughters.  Big sister has dark hair, big brown eyes and a sweet face.  She is my mini me.  There is no mistaking her as being my daughter.  Little sister has red hair, big blue eyes and an adorable little face.  I know red hair is not common, but people always come up and fawn over little sister.  Yes, babies & toddlers attract attention and the red hair makes the attention even more frequent.  What irks me is when they ignore big sister.  She is standing right there as they go gaga over little sister and then they walk away.  Or worse they look at her and say something like, "Oh, you're cute too."  Then walk away.
       Hello!!!!  Would it really take too much time to say something like, "Oh, you must be the big sister.  I see now that beauty runs in the family."  Don't treat her like 2nd rate or ignore her all together. 
       I am trying to come up with a good set phrase to say when people do this to her.  Something that will not allow big sister to feel the rejection.  I was thinking when they start fussing over little sister I should say, "Yes, God has really blessed me with two very different, but beautiful girls."  or maybe, "I don't know how my husband and I got such 2 beautiful girls."  I don't know.  Something polite that will redirect the conversation.  Although what I'd really like to say is, "Really!  Could you just shut up!!"
        I guess if big sister was clueless and didn't notice I wouldn't care as much.  However, it hurts her.  She is only 7 and I can see she will be a child whose self -esteem is going to need some building up.  She worries that she is fat.  I think this concerns her because she is a big girl.  Most of her friends are very small thin girls.  She towers over most of her friends and is growing so fast.  She tends to bulk out a bit and then shoot up.  She hears my husband and I lament over our weight.  She hears her aunt talking about being on a diet and losing weight.  Now my husband, sister & I are overweight.  However, this talk has made her look at herself critically.  Now she is comparing herself to her friends and has decided that she is fat.
        I am going to arm myself with bible verses that talk about how God sees us and use them to help my daughter to see herself accurately.  I am going to start a dialogue when people are rude and discuss why it is wrong and how it can be hurtful.  Maybe by educating my daughter I can insulate her from some of those ignorant people we encounter.  Hopefully I will be able to turn these lemons in lemonade.

7 comments:

  1. Oh goodness!!! We get that too. People fawn like crazy over my middle daughter. And she's beautiful but when they ignore my other child - same age essentially Abd everything - I am so frustrated. Let me know if you come up with so ethi g polite to say. I can share my not do polite stories with you if you line :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh sweet big sister. I will remember this when I see her. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! What an excellent post. I don't have any answers for you but I can tell you it hurts when people look to the "cute adorable" one and ignore the other. I am old now, but grew up with a beautiful redhaired sister. It's wasn't her fault that people bought her things because she was so adorable and I was left just standing there. In this day and age it is hard to proclaim to your children that it's who we are, not how we look or our size. Lessons I still seek to learn. I pray you find the wisdom to speak to your older daughter. God made us each as individuals, and for sure that means our looks too which are just valuable as Cindy Crawford. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback. I am working hard to teach her to see herself as God sees her. Of course I think both of my daughters are just beautiful. It is more important to me that they learn that it isn't what is on the outside that counts, but to be even more beautiful on the inside. I want the light of Jesus to shine through them.

      Delete
  4. I think big sister is beautiful. Would you please tell her that and say it is from me with lots of love?

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments & thoughts. Disagreement is fine, but you are asked to be respectful of me and those that comment. Profanity is not acceptable.