Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Terrible Cooks

       Apparently my husband & I are terrible cooks.  At least that is what my 7 year-old has led me to believe.  I have been shocked at this revelation, because I have been told by so many people that I am an awesome cook.  My husband's cooking gets rave reviews from numerous people.  People constantly ask us for recipes.  A friend in the food business wants my husband's opinion on a possible product.  Yet my 7 year-old turns up her nose at everything we cook.
       I have tried what the experts recommend.   I tried not making food a power struggle.  If she won't eat what you offer don't argue, just let her go hungry.  When she gets hungry enough she'll eat what you offer.  Not my daughter!  She obviously has my strong will and she will starve before she eats something she doesn't want to eat.  I will burst my bladder before using certain restrooms.  She comes by this honestly.
       I have tried having her shop & cook with me.  As we are cooking she informs me she isn't going to eat what we are making. 
       One night I actually got her to eat fish sticks.  They were the good ones with actual fish filet cut into strips and breaded.  I didn't tell her what it was, but just asked her to try it.  She liked it and ate the meal without a problem.  However, once she found out later that it was fish she refused to eat it the next time.  AHHHHHH!!
       The number of foods that she is willing to eat is so small that she starts getting sick of those items.  The list is high on carbs and very low on fruits/ vegetables.  The other issue is that things she had told me she'll eat she turns down when I cook them and then she tells me she doesn't like them.  I have a feeling she said she liked it so I'd get off her back, but once it was offered the truth came out. 
       I refuse to cook separate meals.  There are a few meals I don't expect a child to enjoy and will allow her to make herself a peanut butter & jelly sandwich on those nights.  However, that is a very rare occasion.
       The entire situation is frustrating.  We are at a loss. We talk about nutrition and the importance of eating a variety of foods.  I do my best to make sure snacks are low to no sugar and have nutritional value.  Drinks are limited to skim milk, diluted juice (nothing added), and water.
      This one issue is such a good example of the challenges of parenting and the role of free will.  I want was is best for my girls and I try to teach them how to make wise decisions.  In the long run it is their decision.  Even at just 7 years-old I can't force her to eat what she doesn't want.  I just have to keep gently guiding and encouraging her to try new things or try things again.  Hoping that one day her taste buds will change and she will begin to enjoy a wider variety of food.  Someday these issues will seem insignificant, but right now this is my daily battle.

2 comments:

  1. I have a very similar child. I actually relented to cooking separate meals bc at almost every meal he wouldnt eat.a.thing. So I started making very nutritious alternative meals. And its a pain in the butt...don't get me wrong. However, as he is either maturing or whatever suddenly I am getting him to be more accepting of other foods. I have also laid on some guilt about it being hard to cook separate meals and additionally expensive. Normally Im not a huge fan of guilt but its been working. Ive also kind of tailored our family meals around his preferenes or modified them somewhat so its the same meal only slightly different. Example: He will not touch ANY form of beef. Ever. But loves chicken. So a new night is taco night where I cut up some previously cooked chicken breast for his tacos and we all have beef ones. Or when we had bacon cheese burgers he has the roll with melted cheese and loaded with bacon (nitrate free). SHepherds pie (my favorite!) he gets a meat free version and I add a few fish sticks or chicken tenders to his plate. Another love of his is bacon so I slyly over weeks referred to pork chops and ham as a thicker slice of bacon (without ever asking him to eat it) as we ate it and he finally tried it and loved it. Yes, there are meals Im not cooking bc I design most of the meals around his tastes but its working to reduce the amount of second meals Im making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At our house, Big Sister tries a lot of things. I asked her once,"Do you like tomato soup and grilled cheese?" She said that she did not like tomato soup. She saw me and my sister dipping our gc sandwiches in our soup. So she asked my mom if she could have some soup, dipped her gc in it, took a bite, and screamed (literally) YUM!!!!! THIS IS SO GOOD!!! So, you should send Big sister over more often!! (Not that she already comes like 3 times a week!)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments & thoughts. Disagreement is fine, but you are asked to be respectful of me and those that comment. Profanity is not acceptable.